Our good friend, Denise Mari, founder of New York City's Organic Avenue store talks about her detox program developed for Organic Avenue in a recent interview. What's the philosophy behind your detox program?
Denise Mari: Each cleanse reflects our belief that improving health and the planet through diet and lifestyle choices doesn’t have to be hard if it’s convenient, delicious, and combined with the right information and support. I want it to be easy for us all to transform the planet together, one action at a time, so it’s important to lower the perceived barriers of taking good care of yourself as a first step. And that does not have to just mean the occasional detox — clean, beautiful food and vibrant health can be a lifestyle. We support ongoing abundance by offering monthly and annual juice plans with in-store and home delivery options as one way to add beautiful live juice into the everyday, even when not on a specific cleanse program. What are the benefits of your detox programs?
Denise Mari: At Organic Avenue, we believe that when people make the choice to increase the amount of clean, beautiful, living foods into their diets, that translates into vibrant health and greatly improved well-being for people and the planet. This vibrancy can take the form of weight loss, increased vitality and energy levels, a more youthful appearance and glow, or improvement toward other health and wellness goals. For us, the foundation of a healthy diet is based on the elements of LOVE* (*live.organic.vegan.experience).
One of my favorite cleanse programs is our LOVE*young Cleanse, influenced by noted nutritional advisor, best selling author of The Ph Miracle, and a teacher of mine, Dr. Robert Young. All of the juices, waters, and foods in this program promote high alkalinity, which is one of the most powerful things we can have do to avoid illness and increase energy and our natural youthful radiance!
A day of cleansing to boost alkalinity can look like this:
First thing in the morning
• Wake up your system with a trio of elixirs in any order — just down the hatch! • Combine 8 oz. of pure alkaline water with pHour Salts, a powerful alkaline boost from Dr. Young • 1 oz of pure aloe vera juice to improve bowel regularity and increase nutrient absorption • 1 oz of chlorophyll, diluted with up to 8 oz. of purified water to oxygenate and boost nearly every major body system
• Mix a scoop of Doc Broc’s Green Powder with 1 liter of pure alkaline water for energy and a raw organic anti-aging boost • After 20 minutes it’s time for a fresh pressed green juice. My favorite is a simple blend we call YoungLOVE* (see recipe below) that is just juiced cucumber, spinach, and celery. Remember to chew your juices — sip, enjoy and no gulping!
• The basic building blocks of food are carbs, plant based proteins, and fats, so for lunch enjoy healthy sources of each that also support the cleansing process: • Lemon Lime Shake (see recipe below) with citrus, coconut, cucumber, and avocado • Young Alive Green Shake (see recipe below) — green juice blended with avocado, flax oil, and Himalayan salt • And another liter of water with Doc Broc’s to keep the plant-based energy going
• Time for some nutrition with an extra flavor kick — enjoy some raw soup like carrot ginger soup (see recipe below) featuring carrots, ginger, and orange juice. • And make time for another green juice, on the Love Young cleanse it would be the MellowLOVE* (see recipe below) — cucumber, parsley, celery, romaine lettuce, green apple Early evening
• Give your body some ruffage to aid its nightly sweep. A simple salad of raw, organic ingredients (see recipe below) is a satisfying and delicious end to the day. Add your favorite raw vegetables or even organic edible flowers for something a little special — because cleansing is not about deprivation, it’s about abundance of health.
• Drink only water or herbal tea after 9pm, and allow yourself to go to bed early if possible to give your body extra time for house-keeping. Look forward to waking up knowing you gave your body amazing nutrition, a break from new toxins and the support to clean up old ones.
Be sure to drink plenty of pure alkaline water throughout the day, take time throughout the day to notice your stress level and your breath and make adjustments if possible, get out and get active — even if you only have a few minutes to spare, and start again the next day. Try for 5-7 days, and feel free to rotate some different raw organic vegetables into the recipes to keep it interesting and delicious.
Some people are intimidated by green juice, but there is just nothing else like it to get clean at a cellular level and start the year off right with energy and clarity. If you have a juicer and a good blender you can easily make the essentials of this program for yourself at home Look for ingredients like aloe vera juice, chlorophyll, and alkaline water at your local health foods store or order the At Home Kit. If you are in NYC and prefer the convenience of delivery call 212.334.4593.