My client gets woken up every night from 3-6am with middle back pain. She has been to many specialists, has had every test, MRI, etc. They have found nothing! The only thing that makes it feel better is sleeping on her back, but does not relieve it 100%. Any answers?
There are a couple of things that could be going on. It all depends on what philosophy you want to use.
1. In TCM, the LU and LI are being regenerated with qi during those times. It they are deficient (too yin) or excess (too yang), this can cause issues within the body. AS well, the KD/BL is at the opposite time (pm) of the LU/LI. So if the KD/BL is pulling too much energy away from the LU/LI, they will become deficient.
2. In TCM, chronic stabbing pain can be a sign of stagnation. Gua Sha is a technique that is great to use on the midback to eliminate this.
3. I have had clients with thoracic spine vertebrae subluxations and disc issues having these same symptoms.
4. I would check for trigger points in the diaphragm and rectus ab as well, which refer to those areas.
5. The pancreas and stomach receives innervations from T5-T10 and reflexes around the mid back area. (RA has the same innervation).
6. You can use cleansing, NMT, PT manipulations, HLC principles, moxa, gua sha, acupuncture, polarity therapy, etc for this. Pick your tool!