A large percentage of adults experience memory loss due to stress, anxiety, depression, fatigue, and insufficient sleep. Short-term and long-term memory loss may also be caused by Alzheimer’s disease, neurodegenerative illness, viral infections, and medications.
Supplementing your diet with herbs can combat memory loss by improving blood and oxygen flow to the brain and boosting energy levels.
Herbs that improve memory include:
• Ginkgo biloba revitalizes and improves concentration by improving blood flow to the brain.
• Hawthorn is an antioxidant that strengthens blood vessels and removes toxins.
• Ginseng is an energy boosting herb which stimulates mental activity.
• Rosemary enhances mental clarity and recall.
• Gotu kola is a brain enhancer which promotes longevity.
Memory difficulties may be indicated by trouble learning new things, repeating phrases in the same conversation and forgetting how to do things you’ve done many times before. Aging can affect memory by altering the manner in which information is stored in the brain, making it more difficult to recall information.
Chinese herbal medicine can sharpen mental awareness and learning ability. Some effective Chinese herbal formulas that can help improve memory include: Ren Shen Shou Wu Pian, Ge Jie Da Bu Wan and Gui Pi Wan.
Acupuncture & Massage College’s Oriental Medicine program includes classes in Chinese herbal medicine as well as advanced clinical training in medical herbalism. For information about AMC’s Oriental Medicine and Massage Therapy programs call Joe Calareso, Admissions Director, at (305) 595-9500.