It is essential for diabetics to avoid to many foods that disrupt blood sugar.However, in addition to eating a low Glycemic Index diet, it is also important to supplement with certain nutrients that help the body keep blood sugar levels in check. An important supplement known to participate in the body processes that control blood sugar levels is Biotin (one of the B-group vitamins).
In several studies, Biotin supplementation has been shown to enhance the performance of insulin, the hormone that plays a critical role in helping your body incorporate blood sugar. The supplements can also increase the activity of an enzyme, glucokinase, which the liver uses early in the process of utilizing blood sugar.
Here are a few more benefits of Biotin:
* It plays a crucial role in energy metabolism. Biotin acts as a coenzyme and carries carbon dioxide. It also plays a role in fat synthesis, amino acid metabolism and glycogen synthesis.
* Benefits people with diabetes by helping to break down carbohydrates and lower blood sugar levels.
* Weight loss may be another Biotin benefit, as the vitamin is essential in the conversion of carbohydrates, fats and proteins to energy.
* Helps the body use protein, folic acid, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B12.
* Biotin is involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, amino acids and fats. It is also essential in the formation of fatty acids and glucose.