Although God has all power He cannot do that which contradicts His holy character or fundamental nature. He cannot extinguish Himself because He is eternal, unchallengeable, and all wise. He cannot lie because He is truth ( Titus 1:2; Heb 6:18 ). He cannotnot keep His Word because He is faithful ( 2Ti 2:13 ). God cannot be tempted by evil ( James 1:13 ). The omnipotence of God gives every person a solid foundation to trust Him and confidence in His ability to keep the precious and magnificent promises in Scripture.
If you prefer a simpler definition, like myself, just think of these three words —"God is able." That's what omnipotence means. He is able to do everything he needs to do or wants to do.
Here is a list of four categories of scripture that lead us to the doctrine of omnipotence:
1. Nothing is too hard for God. " Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you."Jeremiah 32:17 " For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
2. No one can stop God's plans. "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2
3 . He made all things and all things serve him. " Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you." Psalm 119:91
4. He does whatever he pleases. " Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him." Psalm 115:3
Seven Stages of God’s Power
In his commentary on Ephesians (God's New Society, pp. 139-140), John Stott shares a delightful analysis of Paul's famous benediction at the end of Ephesians 3:
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:20,21)
1. He is able, for he is the true and living God.
2. He is able to do, for he is neither inactive, idle, or dead.
3. He is able to do what we ask, for he hears and answers prayer.
4. He is able to do what we ask or imagine, for he reads our thoughts, and sometimes we imagine things for which we do not dare to ask. But he can do those things anyway.
5. He is able to do all that we ask or imagine, for he knows it all and can perform it all.
6. He is able to do more than all we ask or imagine, because his expectations are higher than ours.
7. He is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine, because his power is unlimited. As a simple summary statement we may say that there are no limits to what God can do because there are no limits to GOD.
If God says something will happen. He has the power to make sure that it will happen. Therefore, when He promises eternal life to those who believe in Christ, He has the power to grant it. Just as He cannot sin, He has the power to forgive those who do.
There is nothing that God cannot do except that which goes against His nature. God alone has the power to conquer sin and death. He even created Satan who disobeyed and fell, therefore, He has power over him. He promised to give us the power to overcome he that is in the world.
Dear Heavenly Father, I will rely on Your power when Satan tries to tempt me. I will call upon the name of Jesus to provide me with the protection and the peace He promises to those who call upon Him, because He is powerful enough to keep that promise.
Share with us how knowing God is Omnipotent, All Powerful, means to you as a Christian.