Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Tube surgery — like a “normal kid”

Posted May 07 2010 6:16pm

We left for the hospital at 4:30 am for Hannah’s 7:30 am ear tube surgery.   After yesterday’s visit at the Anesthesia Clinic, I felt somewhat confident that everything was going to be okay.  The anesthesiologist I met yesterday agreed that IV sedation was okay for this surgery.

So when the anesthesiologist who was handling Hannah’s surgery (not the doctor we met yesterday) said that IV sedation was not appropriate for this surgery, and that general masked anesthesia would have to be used.  After sharing in detail my concerns, she tried to put my mind at ease that all will be well.

I had to give Hannah her little sedation to make her “loopy” post surgery using a bottle nipple because she does not take anything via syringe or cup without spitting it out.  She was very resistant, but we ended up getting about 3/4 of it into her.   Once it started working, Hannah started getting very loopy and really adorable, almost like she was a bit drunk.

Dr. Roy, Hannah’ ENT, came in and was ready to go.   Hannah was feel pretty good at that point, playing with her favorite toy radio on the gurney.  She didn’t even notice when they came in and took her away from me and down the hall into the OR.  She was transfixed on that radio the entire time!  As for me, I just watched her go down the hall, and admittedly, I was pretty nervous about it.

About 30 minutes later, Dr. Roy came out and told me everything went great!  I was so relieved (that is an understatement!).   He still wanted to keep her overnight for observation just because we wanted to make sure she recovered from the anesthesia without problems.

About 45 minutes later, I was allowed into recovery.  Hannah was just waking up at that time.  She had no problems at all coming out of the anesthesia!  As a matter of fact, about 15 minutes after I arrived, she was playing again with her little toy radio, acting as if nothing was going on.

We were brought up to our observation room on the 8th floor.  The nurses there were so sweet.  Daddy came down to visit with us.  From the moment we got there, Hannah was acting great.  Even though she was hooked up to the monitors, she just played with all her toys, laughed at her Mickey Mouse DVD, and just was acting like a happy baby.  She was eating fine and peeing fine.

It was right before she fell asleep for her nap that I was thinking that if she takes a normal nap and wakes up fine from it, I’m going to ask Dr. Roy to let me take her home instead of spending the night.  Sure enough, after a 2-1/2 hour nap, she woke up, was hungry, played with her toys, and was just her normal self!

I called Dr. Roy, and he came to check her out.  He asked me if I was sure that I was comfortable with taking her home, and I told him that since she took a nap and woke up from it without any issues at all, I really did feel comfortable.

So at 5:30 pm, we were discharged and headed home!!!

It was such a wonderful experience being able to have a procedure where Hannah responded just like a normal child would.  No nGD issues, just normal toddler stuff.  Hopefully this will make a difference in her speech delays and balance issues.  If for some reason it does not, then at least we ruled out her ears being filled with fluid as the cause.

We are here at home, and she is still doing great!

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches