The Role Model In You – Abby Ruby Ph.D., Wellness Coach
Posted Jan 16 2013 3:08pm
Today’s Guest, Abby Ruby
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Abby Ruby Ph.D. Wellness Coach, 33 years old. I am a Wellness Coach at the Vail Vitality Center as well as a professor at Colorado Mountain College, yoga instructor and endurance coach (for triathletes, marathoners, cyclists)
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My mother inspired me as a child to eat healthy and stay fit. She spent 45 minutes each and every morning running or cycling and told the family that unless we needed a ride to the hospital we were not to disturb her during those 45 minutes. The other 23 hours and 15 minutes of the day she was all ours, but that time was her time and we were to respect it. And we did. That taught me that exercise was as integral to a day as brushing teeth and that careful scheduling and protecting her time- my mother showed us that taking care of herself was essential to taking care of the rest of us- which she did incredibly well!
3. What did they do to inspire you?
My mother regularly exercised and thus taught me from a young age how important exercise was to a daily routine.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
My mother’s lesson has shaped my professional life as well as my personal life. I have completed 6 Ironman Traithlons including Ironman World Championship. I was a Division I lacrosse player. I have completed over 50 marathons and multiple ultra marathons including the Leadville 100. And I coach for a living- helping others reach their athletic and personal goals.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I don’t have much interaction with children, but I do convey my mother’s message through the parents I coach. I encourage other parents to take time for themselves, to prioritize their own health and to not feel guilty about blocking out time. It is a balance and I work to help my clients find the balance in life.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Make exercise a regular part of your routine. Have fun! Go out and play!
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?