I am moving along from birthday proceedings due to a huge amount of reader questions regarding Sophie's MRSA eradication treatment.
Rather than answer everyone individually as I really don't have the time currently, I thought I would just do a blog post outlining exactly what we did. Hope that is okay?
Firstly I must stress that Sophie's culture in her sputum is the first growth she has ever had of MRSA and we are certain she picked it up during her admit for CT scan under anaesthetic, as we cultured her not long afterwards.
The treatment we followed is standard practise here in the UK (which is where we live).
First we started Sophie on 10 days of oral rifampicin and oral fucidin. On the 5th day of her oral antibiotics we started topical treatments alongside the orals.
This involved rubbing nasal bactroban cream into each nostril three times a day and also rubbing bactroban cream around her gastrostomy site (PEG). Each evening we bathed Sophie in an antibacterial wash called hibiscrub. Every inch of her was washed with it including her hair.
Every morning her bed clothes, towels, clothes etc were all washed on a high setting and we disinfected the house, including her toys every day.
As her oral antibiotics finished so did her topical treatments and then we had to send a sputum sample every week plus swabs from her nostrils and PEG site for 3 consecutive weeks providing they were all negative to MRSA. If any of the swabs or cultures came back positive, we would have repeated the exact same treatment plan as above. We were also told that if after two rounds of back to back treatment, Sophie still cultured positive to MRSA then they would most likely class her as colonised, however if that ever happens I would be fighting to try nebulised vancomycin as I know others who have had success using this nebulised antibiotic.
Currently we don't know if Sophie is completely in the clear as only time will tell if it is still lurking down in her lungs or respiratory tract. The next 6 months of cultures will give us the real picture.
Sophie did become very symptomatic when positive as she does if she ever grows regular staph so I'm quietly hopeful it is gone as her chest is much more stable and quite frankly we don't need another house guest as Sophie is already considered colonised with Pseudomonas A.
Just to add before we started Sophs treatment both myself and Sophie's dad had nasal swabs done to see if we carry MRSA ourselves especially as I am a nurse, but thankfully both of us are negative and aren't the source.
Really hope that answers all of your questions but anything I have missed or not written clearly enough then please leave me a message on here and I will get back to you much quicker.
Good luck with your individual battles and remember every person is different and reacts differently to different bugs. Pseudo currently causes Sophie no bother, where as anything in the staph family makes her really poorly. Every one is different.