Microwave coffee mug cake recipes have been circulating for years, but this is the first collection of gluten free microwave coffee mug cake recipes that I have seen. In her new book 101 Gluten Free Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes , cookbook author Stacey J. Miller shares a myriad of single serve quick-cook cake options.
Author Stacey J. Miller says:
"We began creating microwave mug cakes to satisfy our craving for quick snacks that wouldn't inflict a week's worth of leftovers on us. Thus, the original 101 Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes: Single-Serving Snacks in Less Than 10 Minutes was published, and the adventure began.
And now the adventure continues.
Our readers' enthusiastic reactions to our microwave mug cakes motivated us to reach beyond the original concept. We sensed a theme. Readers kept saying, "These recipes are wonderful, but are there more healthful alternatives? And is it possible to bake gluten-free microwave mug cakes?"
Our response to our readers' suggestions is 101 Recipes for GLUTEN-FREE Microwave Mug Cakes : Healthier Single-Serving Snacks in Less Than 10 Minutes. The book offers a wealth of delicacies that nearly everyone (exempting true kitchenphobes) can easily and quickly prepare.
All you need is a microwave oven, a mug, a saucer, and a mixing bowl. The book provides a mix of recipes, that, in addition to being gluten-free, include snacks that may have one or more of the following properties: no added eggs, no added dairy products, no added sugar, or no added oil."
My thoughts on this book:
Because it seemed like the perfect autumn choice, my family prepared The Great Pumpkin Microwave Mug Cake recipe. We agreed that it was tasty, not overly sweet, and easy to prepare. We topped it off with a little whipped cream, which complimented the pumpkin cake perfectly.
If you've never made a microwave coffee mug cake, I should point out that the texture of the finished product is very different from a cake that has been baked in the oven. The main difference is in the texture; microwave coffee mug cakes do not have a delicate crumb, they are almost chewy. This isn't bad, it is just different. Also, in my opinion coffee mug cakes are best eaten warm.
This book has so many recipes that there is something that will appeal to every taste. My kids get a real kick out of making their own individual cakes in the microwave. They especially love it because they can all choose their own flavor (no arguing over flavors... yippee!). Some of the ingredients in the recipes may not be items you normally have on hand, such as baby food and flavored yogurts, but those items are easy to find at your local market.
The bottom line is, it is pretty cool to be able to whip up a warm gluten free treat when the urge hits you, and this fun little book helps make that possible.
Click here for links to purchase this book online.
(1) Lucky Freebie Fairy follower will WIN a copy of the 101 Gluten Free Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes cookbook (retail value $16.95).
TO ENTER GIVEAWAY (#1 is a mandatory entry):
1) Become a Freebie Fairy follower (must follow PUBLICLY via Google Friend Connect in the side bar of this website) AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT telling me if you have ever tasted a coffee mug cake. (1 entry)
BONUS ENTRIES (each entry comment must be entered separately to be a valid entry):
2) "Like"my Gluten Free Taste of Home page on Facebook (3 entries)
3) "Like" my The Freebie Fairy page on Facebook (1 entry)
4) Blog about this giveaway linking it back to my Gluten Free Taste of Home blog AND the gluten free page of the 101 Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes website. Please LEAVE ME A COMMENT with THE LINK TO YOUR POST or it will not count. (3 entries)
5) Follow Gluten Free Taste of Home on Twitter AND tweet the giveaway; LEAVE ME A COMMENT (with your twitter link) telling me you did it. (one entry per tweet/RT; DO NOT EXCEED (1) TWEET/RT PER HOUR!)
6) Follow my Freebie Fairy blog on Twitter (1 entry)
7) Grab my Gluten Free Taste of Home button and display it on your website/blog (copy the html code for my button from the sidebar of this website and paste the code into your website), and LEAVE ME A COMMENT with a LINK to where you pasted my button. (1 entry)
8) Vote for Gluten Free Taste of Home on Picket Fence Blogs (click the "We're on the Fence!" button in the sidebar of this blog to vote). (1 entry)
9) Follow my Freebie Fairy blog PUBLICLY via Google Friend Connect and LEAVE ME A COMMENT telling me you did it. (1 entry)
*GIVEAWAY OPEN TO US & CANADA*
Giveaway ends on Friday, November 26 at 7:00 p.m. PST (entries received after this time will not be posted). Winner will be selected by random.org. Winner will be notified by e-mail and will have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is selected.
*REMEMBER... please leave your e-mail address with EACH entry so I can contact you if you win.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I was not compensated for this post; I received a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes courtesy of the author. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Best of luck!