Gluten free sweet short crust pastry1 cup sifted gluten-free flour mixture (I used doves white flour mixture)
1 tbsp granulated sweetener
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup applesauce (orrrr 2 tsp butter)
2 tablespoons ice-cold water
1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
around 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar (dusting/ for rolling)
1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour mixture, sugar, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, water, and vanilla.
3. Pour the liquid mixture into the center of the flour mixture. With a rubber spatula, stir the dough well until it holds together.
4. With your hands, knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball.
5. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into an 11-inch circle.
6. lift pastry and press in to greased 8' pie dish.
7. with remaining dough roll out and cut into strips for the pie top. Blueberry pie filling
1 cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
4 dates finely chopped
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 tsp water
1. In a saucepan add all ingredients and simmer on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and dates are soft.
2. pour blueberry filling in to pie crust and basket weave the strips of remaining pastry, brush with egg and sprinkle with a little caster sugar.
3. bake ya pie at 185/350 for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden.... allow to cool and slice it up. Enjoy on its own but I shoveled my slice down my pie hole with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. mmmmhmmmm.
I have to say the gluten free and mostly fat free pastry was quite crispy on top, and a little chewy when still hot, but once it had cooled completely this pie was awesome. I think its the sweet fruity filling that makes it.
One day i will make buttery flakey pastry but something inside me yearns to find and invent healthy alternative recipes...probably because when, like me and my sweetooth, you have 3 servings of pudding type meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner and pudding) something like butter has gotta give....but some times i have to admit the original is best. So if its special occasion or you just want an super amazing crust i would substitute the applesauce for 2tbsp of chilled butter.