Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

progress report pleurodesis day 11 rehab 2

Posted Sep 23 2012 11:42am

Here comes day 2 in rehabilitation. I am thrilled to report this morning that I slept a full six hours last night before waking up on my own at four o’clock. I stayed in bed and fell back to sleep for another hour and a half, which is all the most uninterrupted sleep I have had in days. Although I have not set a foot out of bed yet as I write this, I feel the most glorious absence of nausea and sickliness that I had constantly the past 48 hours. I am taking this as a very good sign. I was nauseated so often yesterday, I just felt miserable most of the day.

My husband convinced me to take my available lorazepam (Ativan®) before bedtime last night, and he brought me an iPod and my favorite earphones so I could fill my head with music during the night and blur the background noise of the staff conversations and constant intercom announcements. What a difference it all made. Marvin has created my own little tech station at my bed already so I can recharge my devices that I continually deplete of battery power through constant use. Because it’s a sort of tool kit that hangs at the side of my bed, I don’t have to keep my iPad on my little table and risk getting it wet like the other night when I spilled water everywhere. Just like he organizes me at home with all the right gear, he has me geeked out here.

Yesterday Marvin was here for a good while and so was a friend who brought me a treasure trove of supplies to keep me comfy and sanitary. Like me, she is a bit of a germaphobe, so I have little handy wipes and personal wipes to help in the germ war. I will say that the staff here seems fastidious, but all the same, in an institution, additional swipes of disinfectant are probably a good idea. After my recent history of complications, I don’t need any other weird interferences with my healing and mission to get stronger.

Yesterday the physical therapist evaluated me. Her assessment was that I need assistance in and out of bed because I am unsteady. She seemed impressed with my weakness. All it means to me today is that I have plenty of room for growth upward into feeling stronger. The schedule for PT is six days a week and the schedule for OT is five days. I begin both routines tomorrow. Today I can gather my reserve to get ready for the uphill climb. They do not yet have a time goal for me, but I suspect that will come with my beginning the PT and OT regimens.

So my first order on the agenda today was to try to eat. I have been unable to eat since I arrived here, and most of the time the nausea has made most food unpalatable. To say that this is not the finest gourmet establishment would be kind, but, of course, I am a finicky eater, I suppose, in that I’m vegetarian who dislikes any kind of processed food. Guess what. Most of the food on these places seems to come out of a package, but for now I need to ignore that and just eat for nutrition as much as possible. Even a few bites of a powdered egg for breakfast and mushy oatmeal is better than going on an empty, incessantly gnawing stomach. In the hospital I was unable to drink much water because of some complications with my sodium levels, but now I am back to drinking as much as I can along with the diet ginger ale that my friend brought me yesterday. Maybe with rehydration alone I will feel a bit better. Hoping and planning on it, anyway.

One step at a time. Today: drinking water and eating for strength. Being thankful to feel a ray of strength this morning and grateful for my awesome hubby and the help from my breast-cancer sister friend.

5 6 7 8
© 2004–12 Donna Peach. All rights reserved.

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches