San Francisco Spinal Decompression Doctor Comments:
What are your treatment choices if you have been diagnosed with a herniated disc in the low back that is unresponsive to conservative care, such as chiropractic, physical therapy, medications, or acupuncture?
Here are the most common treatment options:
1. Do nothing.
2. Cortisone injections.
3. Spinal discectomy (remove the herniated disc fragments surgically).
4. Surgical Spinal fusion (fuse it all together to stabilize).
5. Surgical laminectomy (remove part of the lumbar vertebrae-usually for spinal stenosis).
6. Artificial surgical disc replacement.
7. Nonsurgical spinal decompression.
Most of the herniated disc patients I consult with have already tried doing nothing. Some have tried cortisone...and the majority do not want to have any kind of spine surgery, which is why they are meeting with me.
Nonsurgical spinal decompression is a non-invasive, drugless procedure that is done on a very expensive computerized machine, that was designed and built to treat disc herniations. Spinal decompression technology is not perfect...but nothing is...especially spine surgery.
So yes...Lumbar disc herniations that do not respond to conventional conservative treatments can be helped without drugs or surgery...with nonsurgical lumbar decompression.