Inspiration 4 Healthy Living - Ephrata Chiropractor, Dr. David Parker Answers: I heard the weight of the human head, can cause
Posted Nov 17 2009 2:33pm
Did you know that your head weighs about 10 pounds? Think about that for a minute. That’s comparable to a bowling ball, a small frozen turkey and some of the lighter free weights at the gym. It should come as little wonder then that hauling around this much weight on our shoulders is often a contributor to back, neck and shoulder pain. Here are some tip to help reduce neck and back pain which might be caused by the weight of the head:
1. Watch your posture. As we age it’s only natural that the shoulders tend to roll forward and the head tends to droop. This puts stress and strain on the muscles of the neck and shoulder. So, keep your head upright, your chest out and your shoulders back.
2. Handle pressure. Stress in modern life is rampant. It’s everywhere and stress contributes to neck and shoulder pain. The solution: manage your stress healthfully. Look for ways to reduce stress at home and on the job. Do whatever it takes: Talk to a friend, have some fun, exercise or take a vacation, take a hot bath.
3. Keep fit. You know that as you age you lose muscle tone and that includes the muscles that hold up our head and neck. Weaker muscles spell trouble for holding up the noggin.
4. Massage therapy. Massage therapy is another option that can do much to relieve muscle spasms, soothe aches and pains, and bring short-term relief. And of course my favorite…
5. The power of chiropractic. Chiropractic has been found the treat neck and back pain at its root cause. It was recently found to be 90% cheaper than surgery, so it is cost effective as well.
In summary, you and I are carrying around the weight of a bowling ball on our shoulders - and over a lifetime this can and will cause “wear and tear.” If back pain has been bothering you (or you are experiencing “sciatica”) then chiropractic might work wonders for you too.!
The good news about chiropractic continues to pour in. If you have back pain that keeps coming back, run (not walk) down to your chiropractor’s office.
Dr. David Parker is an expert in chiropractic and back pain, who has helped over 6,000 people in Ephrata, PA since 1987. Dr. Parker is an International speaker, Founder of http//:familytreechiro.com, Author of "Power Workshops", Host of the TV program "Light the Fire Within" and an author of a variety of health articles published extensively online. He is also a Chiropractic Coach, Host of the Blog Talk Radio program"Inspiration 4 Healthy Living" , Host of the Youtube Chiropractic Channel ihealmyself and is a Husband and father of 5 amazing children!!