Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

I have two buldging disks on L 4 and L5 with sciatica. Went to P.T. and was then diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome.

Posted by Allie19

I didn't like the orthopedic physician as I waited the first time to see him 3 hours in the exam room the first time all he did was write me a script for pain meds and ordered an mri, second time I waited two hours in the exam room, gave me more pain meds, ordered p.t. and told me he would send me to pain mgt. if the p.t. didn't wk.  I haven't gone back but I know he got my P.T. report with new diagnoses.  What should I do now?  I am better because I can drive 30 min. without pain but I can't do any walking or exercise anymore.  I was a very active person and now I am very limited as to what I can do.
Answers (4)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first
How about trying a piriformis stretch and also getting some trigger point therapy for the piriformis muscle specifically?. Also, for the bulging discs at L4 and L5, how about trying non surgical spinal decompression? Find out if you are a candidate for this treatment and find out if there are any health professionals in your area offering this treatment.

I also have 2 bulging disks L4 & L5 ,My doctor gave me skripts , 1st  skript was valium,a month latter she wrote me s skrip for medication for depression .and now after 4 months she is offering me steroids.. for the great  pain i am in . she refuses to give me anything for she lets me suffer in pain , she waited 3 & 1/2 months before she had me get a M.R.I. and she still refuses to give me any pain medication.also I have a draining cyst on my right buttock, an am getting a ultrasound Monday so they can locate a cyst about the size of a base ball , that will need to be removed.  I think she likes to watch me suffer

Owl Moon

have the same problem luna and allie. I had a horrible doctor, go to someone else! As I understand it, the pain you have is more in your butt and hips when you have piriformis syndrome. I also have bulges between L4 and L5 but this has nothing to do with my pain apparently. Your best bet is to go to a physical therapist, and do your research (google or even youtube) on piriformis syndrome immediately to learn if that's what you really have. 
also, take an ibuprofen (or any anti-inflammatory) every day and ice the inflamed area for 20 minutes at a time to help with the pain. 
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: