Stretching your cervical muscles is very important. Stretching exercices for the neck will Restore and increase range of motion in the neck. In the cervical spine, we are looking to increase range of motion in Flexion, Extension, Lateral Flexion and Rotation. Here are four simple exercises you can do everyday:
1. The First neck exercise is called Cervical Flexion (bring your chin to your chest) and Cervical Extension (look up to the ceiling). You want to start by tucking your chin in and gently bringing your head foward and attempting to touch the chin to the chest. Next, gently bend the head backwards as far as it will go. Repeat this exercise 5 times.
2. The next neck exercise is called Lateral Flexion . Bring your right ear to your right shoulder as far as you are able to. Do not rotate or turn your head when you are doing this neck stretch. Then bring your left ear to the left shoulder. Repeat this for 5 times
3. Next part of the program is called Rotation of the Cervical Spine . In this exercise you want to turn your head to the right as far as you possibly can, trying to bring your chin over your shoulders. When you are doing this neck exercise, do not bring up your shoulders. Hold this position for 3 to 5 seconds. Next do this on the left side of the neck and repeat for 5 times.
4. For the last part of the neck stretching exercise you want to stand with you feet shoulder width apart and place your hands behind your head. Bend from side to side, making sure to bend only with the upper back area and not with the waist or hips. Try to reach the upper elbow to the ceiling. Hold each movement for 3-5 seconds. Now do the same thing with the left side.
5. Standing with your feet apart shoulder length, clasp your hands behind your back, and pull downward toward the floor with your hands. Take a deep breath in and stand on your toes and look at the ceiling while exerting the downward pull. Hold this stance for 3-5 seconds, then exhale slowly. Relax and repeat 5 times.