Do you know this movie? Holiday Inn is one of our all time favorite musicals. The movie covers the entire calendar from Valentines to New Year's Eve but, the message of this scene is appropo to Thanksgiving. Listening to his own chipper recording, reminds even Bing Crosby that thankfulness can transform any duldrum into gumption!
How true it is that a little gratitude changes our attitude! It's in the movies; it's in the Bible; it's real honest to goodness truth, as Mamie might say. Holidays can be hard times when the feelings and the circumstances don't match what we know to be true; our perceptions on those days may not be reality. We are staying put this year, in the clear, without travel or trappings to stress and strain. So, I will make my list now and carry it in my wallet for the next time I start to sulk.
I am thankful for:
1. a dentist I've had for 17 years
2. friends who pray for me
3. kids who are affectionate
4. money in the bank
5. kids who are readers
6. a husband who supports my success
7. a husband who can fix anything online and off
8. a husband who has loved me for 23 years
9. a free country where we can worship and study the Bible openly
10. knowing Jesus as a friend
11. a place prepared for me in heaven
12. living close enough to see the vastness of the ocean every day
Try it. Give me your top ten in a comment.
Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High Psalm 50:13-15
I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 2 Timothy 1:2-4
...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.