Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

I am allergic to SSRI's what else can I do to overcome Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Posted by momofthree3

Answers (2)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

There are other types of anti-depressants aside from SSRIs. You can try SNRIs, Tricyclics, or the oldest kind, MAOIs. Have you tried anti-anxiety medication as well? There are the benzodiazepines such as Xanax, Ativan, and Klonopin. If you are worried about addiction, then you can try Buspar. It is a different type of anti-anxiety medication (not a benzo) and does not run the risk of addiction. Buspar is also safe for use in the elderly because it works differently than a typical benzo.

Ian Health Maven
As annhertel has advised, there are other antidepressants that may be at least as effective as SSRIs, momofthree3.

You might also consider Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

Best wishes

NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: