Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

Celexa, is tickling an adverse reaction?


Posted by BobPaul

Hi,

Paxil 1 mg for 2 weeks. Doc increased to 20 mg. I had to stop because it is tickling so bad inside my body.

Now, I am taking Celexa 10mg every morning. It feels good the 1st week. Start tickling from the second week, especially night time. Areas : left shoulder, base of the neck, sometimes left part of the face, sometimes it goes down in my body. 2 days ago, it was so intense, I almost vomit. I went to ER, they could not find anything wrong.

Is it anxiety or medication adverse side effects?

Thanks.
 
Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first
Ian Health Maven
It could be both, BobPaul,

Many people with anxiety or depression is highly sensitive to their body's reactions and notice every twinge.

Many are also pill-phobics. Taking medications for psyche disorders is often panned as taking the 'easy' option, but for some it can be the hardest.



However, antidepressants have an affect outside the brain too. Only about 2% of the body's serotonin is utilized by the brain. The other 98% is made in and used by the gut, blood vessels and the skin. So it is possible that the Celexa (citalopram) is triggering nerves that produce the tickling. If that is the case then it should ease within a week or two.

Perhaps you and your doctor should consider lowering the dose for a while and then ramping it up more slowly than usual. DO NOT change the amount you take without getting the OK from the prescribing physician. There may be good reasons not to.

Another possibility is supplementing the antidepressant with a small benzodiazepine (Valium, Xanax, etc) dose for a week or two until your body has adjusted to the antidepressant.



Best wishes

Ian



NOTE: I am not a doctor, and more importantly, I'm not your doctor so the above advice is necessarily of a general nature which may or may not apply to you. Always consult your health provider before acting on anything you've read here.
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: