Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

Chronic working memory loss diagnosed as FTD? Is it correct?

Posted by Pau

I was diagnosed with FTD when 42. At the time, my working memory and short term memory went out like a switch.  I scored very low on certain IQ tests dealing with switching of tasks and working memory. However, I scored superior on all other IQ tests. I was a working engineer in Research and design.  EEG, MRI and PET showed everything normal. I had and still have the Palmar grasp reflex.

It has been 5 years and have periodic IQ testing. My long term memory has improved and the short term has improved but the working memory is still the same and the switching of tasks is still a problem.  Of course, the doctor said it is a good sign that the long term memory is improving.  Of recent, I have noticed sometimes a lack of directional understanding of sounds and volume, but I  can adjust by forcing head adjustment.

However, many people have wondered that I was misdiagnosed since I have good social skills and have a refined manner.  

Upon questioning, the doctor said the low scores indicate the frontal lobe and the temporal lobe and not all cases have the same presentation.  The doctor is at the top of the field.

Is this true or should I go for an evaluation at another facility in the top three? 

Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

With so many types of disorders, I think an evaluation by a top notch neurological team would be your best option. With your scans returning normal and not much change in five years, you want to be sure to have the best diagnosis and treatment for your short-term and working memory problems. I wish you the very best!

NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: