You are looking at the Grand Prize Winner of the Surf Sweets Jelly Bean Blogger Bake-Off! Can you believe it?? I'm still in shock. The Surf Sweets organic candy company invited 16 food allergy bloggers to enter their organic (and allergen free) jelly bean bake off, and they got 16 amazing enteries...just in time for Easter! Following is my recipe for Surf Sweets Spring Mix Jelly Bean Scones. If you would like to see the other delicious entries, you will find them at http://www.surfsweets.com/imgs/contestwinners.pdf
SCONES5 T Milk alternative: rice, hemp, coconut, sunflower, etc. (safe for your allergies) 1/2 c Sorghum flour 1/4 c Millet flour 1/4 c Tapioca starch 2 T Sugar 1 1/4 t Baking Powder 1/4 t Baking soda 1/2 t Xanthan gum 1/8 t Salt 3 T Spectrum shortening 1/2 c Surf Sweets Spring Mix of Organic Jelly Beans 1/2 t Vanilla extract (make sure it’s gluten free)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together milk alternative and lemon juice to create a “buttermilk” . Set aside.
3. Put the sorghum flour, millet flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Stir with a dry whisk until combined. Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or mashing with a whisk, cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans.Add vanilla extract to milk alternative and lemon juice. Pour 1/4 cup of this “buttermilk” mix into the dry ingredients to make a dough. Stir until just moistened, add the rest of the liquid if needed. Gently knead dough 2 or 3 times until it holds together.
4. Using millet or sorghum floured hands, gather the dough into a cohesive ball and transfer to the lined baking sheet. Pat into a 1/2" thick circle. Using a floured knife, cut the dough into 4 wedges, pulling them apart slightly.
5. Bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 5 minutes.
ICING1 T Milk alternative (or water) 1 c Powdered sugar 1/2 t Vanilla extract (make sure it’s gluten free) Mix liquids and powdered sugar together until smooth. Apply a generous layer to the tops of scones.
DECORATION: Use leftover Surf Sweets Jelly Beans to press into the icing and decorate in any way desired! (We cut our Jelly beans in half lengthwise so that they would stay on better.)