Saturday I bought a pack of canned pineapple juice from Trader Joes (100% juice, no concentrate). On Sunday I drank one and about an hour later I looked at my arms and legs and there were red bumps that itched a lot. The bumps later appeared on my upper arm and lower leg.
I waited until the bumps went away (about 24 hours) and then drank another one to see if that was really what caused it. About twenty minutes later, I felt my lip going numb on my right side. The numbness spread until it was the whole right side of my face that was numb, followed by my throat (on the right side), and part of my right arm.
Being a teacher I was unable to look to see if the numbness was accompanied by swelling. I took some Benadryl and it seemed to help reduce the numbing. It has been about 7 hours and I still have a little bit of the numbness (like after you go to the dentist type feel).
Am I allergic to pineapple?
I love pineapple and haven't had it for about 2 months and this is the first of these strange occurrances. Any help is appreciated.
I don't know if you're allergic or not, but it doesn't sound like your body is liking it too much. It coulld be the brand, or the types of pineapples (maybe?) they used. I'm pretty sure you can be tested to see if you're allergic to certain foods, so if you're willing to undergo the testing you could find out if you were allergic to pineapple. I don't know for sure if you can be screened for pineapple allergies specifically though, but I'm sure your doctor can help you figure that part out.
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice,
diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your
physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere.
If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.