Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

Do you know the name of the Rx drug that can be prescribed for alcoholics so they can't drink & if they do they get very ill?

Posted by tko

my husband is a heavy beer drinker and just can't seem to stop.  He has a family history that is full of alcoholism and he asked me to try to find out some info for him about seeing a doctor and being evaluated.  I just want to know the names of these prescription "anti-drinking drugs"
Answers (2)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

I think the medication described in your question is probably is Antabuse (disulfiram).  Following is a description I found online of that medication:

Antabuse, or disulfiram as it is also known, was the first medicine approved for the treatment of alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. It works by causing a severe adverse reaction when someone taking the medication consumes alcohol.

I would assume that the newer medications, as described by Ms. Frederiksen, have greater benefits and/or fewer negative side effects than Antabuse, which is not a new medication, by any means.

I concur with Ms. Frederiksen's statement regarding the treatment of addiction requiring more than just medications.   If an alcoholic is not willing to do the work involved in true recovery, nothing has really changed, and once the medication ceases, he or she will inevitably drink again.  Just taking a pill will never cure someone of alcoholism.  If there was some medication or medical procedure that could do that, every alcoholic I know, including myself, would be lining up to receive it.  True recovery requires a change in all aspects of the alcoholic's life, routines, and character -- including mindset and attitude -- and much, much more.  It is not a change we can will or make happen.  It is a change that is spiritual at its core.  It is a change requiring a complete commitment to a new way of life, and it is that commitment which makes it possible for an alcoholic to enter into and remain in true recovery. 

We alcoholics and addicts are NEVER cured.  Only recovering.

It is called:   Antabuse and you can find more about it here:

Hape that helpes a little. 


NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: