Are You Raising Alcoholics With Your Alcoholic Spouse?
Posted Oct 12 2010 2:41pm
If you are married to an alcoholic husband or alcoholic wife and are raising children beware! Raising children in an alcoholic family has life-long consequences. An alcoholic parent has very negative effects on the children.
Here are 4 effects on your children followed by 4 positive tips to improve your situation living with an alcoholic:
1. Your children are at much greater risk than the general population of becoming an alcoholic. In this sense, you are actually influencing your children to become alcoholics later in life!
2. Your children are much more likely to marry an alcoholic if they grow up in an alcoholic family.
3. Your children may suffer from low self-esteem. Their sense of self worth is damaged when they feel their parent is choosing alcohol over them.
4. Your children are at greater risk of having anxiety and depression from growing up in such a chaotic environment.
Don’t waste time feeling guilty about your situation. Just do something positive about it! The best solution would be if your alcoholic spouse quits drinking.
Here are 4 tips right now for damage control:
1. Do not lie, cover up, or bail your alcoholic spouse out of any consequences from their alcohol problem. Let your alcoholic husband or alcoholic wife feel the painful consequences of the disease.
2. Go to Al-Anon meetings right away (no excuses) and connect with other people married to an alcoholic spouse. It is great for your own support and for learning to set boundaries.
3. Don’t lie to your children or cover up for their alcoholic parent. A child’s relationship with an alcoholic parent is colored by anger and resentment and this is another consequence of the disease.
4. Keep your kids safe. If there is ANY physical abuse against you or the kids- LEAVE. Of course, the verbal abuse children are exposed to growing up in an alcoholic family is damaging too.
If you want additional help turning your marriage around click here to register for my free report on, “ 5 Proven Methods For a Healthier Marriage With Your Alcoholic Spouse”. It may save your family’s life. The information in this report gives you very simple strategies that could very well save your marriage.