Alcoholic Spouse? 6 Codependent Behaviors To Ditch
Posted Dec 19 2010 1:40pm
An alcoholic spouse is usually self-centered and has a generous, giving stable partner. The couple fits together like pieces of a puzzle. For an alcoholic husband or alcoholic wifeto continue drinking, their spouse is codependent.Codependency is when a person “helps” or “enables” another person. In other words, the spouse is taking over responsibilities that the addicted person should be doing themselves. Are you guilty of codependency?
Here are 6 codependent behaviors that to ditch for 2011:
1. Calling in sick to your alcoholic spouse’s work (“He has food poisoning again”).
2. Making excuses to your kids or parents why your alcoholic husband or wife isn’t going to be at an important athletic event or family function .
3. Bailing your alcoholic spouse out of jail for a DUI or public intoxication.
4. Tolerating your alcoholic husband or wife excessive drinking because confronting them does not work.
5. Threatening to leave them if they continue to drink excessively, but never following through.
6. Paying bills for your alcoholic spouse that your spouse should be taking responsibility for.
The only way your alcoholic spouse will EVER quit drinking is to experience the painful consequences of excessive drinking. This includes loss of a job, loss of a marriage/family, losing friends, going to jail, getting in a car accident, or experiencing a health problem such as pancreatitis, seizures, liver cirrhosis.
It takes hard work and commitment to give up an addiction. The tipping point is when continuing to drink becomes even HARDER than quitting drinking. For example, some people have to get to the point they lose their driver’s license, or have to have a breathalyzer to start their car to decide to quit drinking.
If you want additional help turning your marriage around click here to register for my free report on, “ 5 Proven Methods For a Healthier Marriage With Your Alcoholic Spouse”. It may save your family’s life. The information in this report gives you very simple strategies that could very well save your marriage.