If you have an alcoholic spouse, you know how crazy the dynamics are between the two of you. He yells, you yell back. There is always a lot of drama. Addiction brings out the worst in people. If your alcoholic husband or alcoholic wife is going to ever quit drinking, you need to stop rescuing them frm the consequences of their addiction. you also need to help break the dynamic of your alcoholc spouse provoking a fight with you.
Here are 5 tips to accomplish this:
1) Don’t have ANY important discussions with your alcoholic spouse when they have been drinking. It’s a waste of time.
2) Get support outside the house from friends, family, or even Al-anon to help vent your frustration so you are less likely to lose your temper with your spouse.
3) Leave the room when the discussion gets heated rather than engage.
4) Set clear boundaries. For example, let if your alcoholic husband insults you, let “I’m sorry you feel that way”, but leave the room or even spned the night elsewhere. If he or she tries to provoke you, don’t engage back.
5) Start concentrating on your own needs and depend on your spouse less and less which will break the codependent connection in your marriage.
As you concentrate on your own life, you will be happier and things in your marriage will start to improve. As your alcoholic spouse senses your independence and realizes he or she has to “own” their own disease (addiction), the path to healing is often accelerated.
If you want additional help turning your marriage around click here to register for my free report on, “ 5 Proven Methods For a Healthier Marriage With Your Alcoholic Spouse”. It may save your family’s life. The information in this report gives you very simple strategies that could very well save your marriage.