Any woman married to an alcoholic husband suffers some form of emotional abuse. I have seen this over and over in in my psychiatric practice. The main consequence of marital emotional abuse from an alcoholic spouse is battered self-esteem. If a woman does not learn to set good boundaries with her alcoholic husband, she ends up with a deep sense of worthlessness that takes a long time to reverse.
Your alcoholic husband may be emotionally abusive in the following 7 ways:
1. He blames his drinking on you for nagging him and causing him stress.
2. Your alcoholic spouse is aggressive when he drinks, is emotionally volatile, and criticizes you. He is verbally abusive.
3. Your alcoholic husband is disrespectful with you, especially under the influence of alcohol. Being verbally abusive is a form of emotional abuse.
4. Your alcoholic spouse ignores your emotional needs. His main relationship is with the bottle (alcohol) rather than you.
5. He ignores your sexual needs. Your sexual intimacy is almost non-existent.
6. Your alcoholic husband has had an affair with another woman.
7. He has withdrawn from participating in the family. You feel very isolated and lonely.
Your friends who are not married to an alcoholic husband often do not understand what you are going through. You may feel too embarrassed to share details with your relatives or friends (shame is one of the signs of emotional abuse) because you are ashamed you are putting up with abusive behavior from your alcoholic husband.
Maybe you are afraid that if you confide in those close to you, they won’t even believe you. Women who have an alcoholic spouse suffer a terrible ordeal every day and show signs of emotional abuse (mainly low self esteem and shame).
Go to Al-Anon meetings where you can connect with other women in your situation. Try setting new boundaries- the most important step in regaining your self esteem. You deserve a fulfilling, happy life. Don’t put up with emotional abuse from your alcoholic spouse. Start showing value in yourself and good things in your life will follow.
If you want additional help turning your marriage around click here to register for my free report on, “ 5 Proven Methods For a Healthier Marriage With Your Alcoholic Spouse”. It may save your family’s life. The information in this report gives you very simple strategies that could very well save your marriage.