· Just over one in 10 grandparents (13%) provides care on a regular basis for at least· Topping the list of very important values grandparents wish to pass down are
one grandchild. Of those, 32% are providing care five or more days per week.
honesty (88%), good behavior (82%), self-sufficiency (70%), higher education
(69%), and good health habits (68%).
· The majority (62%) of grandparents have provided financial support or monetary
gifts for grandchildren within the past five years. The total average amount provided
over the past five years among this group for all grandchildren was $8,289 total,
with more than half having given up to $5,000.
In a companion publication, Grandparents Investing in Grandchildren, Actions Speak Louder Than Words , they outline ways grandparents can guide and help their grandchildren. Here are the highlights. Get the publication for the details.
· Teach Your Grandchildren to Make a Difference by Giving of Time and Money
· Discuss How Every Vote Counts
· Explore Your Culture, Your Heritage
· Celebrate Family
· Record an Audio/Video Message
· Create a Family Tree
· Start Cooking
· Preserve History for the Future
· Invest in Your Grandchildren’s Financial Security
· Foster Early Saving Habits
· Encourage Smart Spending
· Make Grand Investments