The Center for Disease Control and Prevention surveys report 7 out of 10 Americans are not getting enough exercise. So what is the secret to getting enough physical activity and actually enjoy doing it?
There is a connection between purpose and exercise. When we tap into that wonderful motivator called purpose , it is our "why" that is fueled by an inner source of motivation that drives its reward from the exercise itself. The purpose could be to have fun, out live your age group, win a game, win a championship, run a marathon, lose X pounds, walk the dog, mow the lawn, walk the golf course or whatever your motivation to exercise.
2. Get coaching . A trust-worthy, respectable and likeable instructor virtually guarantees success at learning a new activity, and can guide talent development for a lifetime.
3. Join a team. Membership in a club or team generally provides not only fellow participants for camaraderie and encouragement, but also regularly scheduled times and locations for participation, making it easier to commit. It was Woody Allen who said, "Eighty percent of success is showing up."
4. Protect your time. Having fixed times for play and practice will help establish the role of exercise in your life and ensure its priority.
5. Add supplementary fitness. Improvement in your lifetime sport through a supplementary fitness program means added motivation to stick with that sport...and how to succeed with exercise!
6. Seek continuous improvement. Goal setting can encourage continuous improvement and build a passion for a lifetime activity.
7. Win at championship moments. Use a set of four mental techniques to get yourself to "just do it" when you are tempted to deviate from your exercise plan.