I stumbled across a blog called ThinkingWoman1 and a very interesting post, on the difference between narcissism and self-confidence. While you may or may not like many of the opinions expressed on this site (as I found), I did like the comparative differences between narcissism and self-confidence. Many people with ADD are impacted by narcissism, so this is a very relevant post and this blog has done a great job of capturing these differences.
“• Narcissism is all about self. Self-confidence is inclusive.
• Narcissism is about being better than………..Self-confidence is about being as good as you can possibly be and/or as good as everyone else.
• Narcissists want recognition and attention. Self-confident people want to do what they love and do it well.
• Narcissism is about entitlement. Self-confidence is about celebrating achievement.
• Narcissism is about projecting a false image. Self-confidence is about taking pride in what I know, what I have learned/studied and what I know I am good at.
• Narcissists lie. Self-confident people are goal-oriented and want to win but make no false promises.
• Narcissists repress their emotions/feelings. Self-confident people possess freedom of expression.
• Narcissists are manipulative. Self-confident people are persuasive.
• Narcissists are motivated by power and control. Self-confident people are motivated by achievement.
• Narcissists are obsessed about appearance. Self-confident people care more about their abilities.
• Narcissists care little for human values. Self-confident people value being human.
• Narcissists value material possessions. Self-confident people value experience.
• Narcissists value notoriety. Self-confident people value dignity. “
Sadly, I’ve come across a lot of people who don’t know the difference.